Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Still at FOB Gamberi...

I'm still at FOB Gamberi, in Laghman Province. A few updates.

The 45th IBCT is arriving in mass now, and we have already handed over many of our duties. Good to see these guys...especially since they're our ticket outta here!

My boss has already left country, and is on his way to Wisconsin along with the rest of our "advance party."

I'll be heading back to Bagram in a couple of days. I anticipate leaving Afghanistan in very early July for Manas, Kyrgyzstan...and then on to Wisconsin...just over a week to go in country!

Okay, so I'm not exactly over tasked here in Gamberi...in fact I'm quite bored. Oh well, I'm catching up on some reading. Here are some random pics I pulled off my camera...

Our office is within the headquarters building that is owned/operated by the Afghan National Army. Notice I didn't say funded...that's where you, the American taxpayer comes in!

Uh yeah. Don't ask me, I haven't exactly got the toilets figured out. The worst part of these bathrooms is that there is no water trap built in...which allows the smell to permeate the building and mix with all the other wonderful smells floating in the hallways. The smell in the building is truly "unique." It's a mix of bathroom, feet and onions. I hold my breath when I walk in in the mornings...not even kidding a little bit.

Random pic of FOB Gamberi...I could take a hundred pics here, and they would all look about the same. There's not a whole lot of variety in the construction/layout here.

CSM Enright (Remember, the guy that bought me the gold Rolex?) stopped by my room the other night to chat. Not sure why he came to the window and not the door?

As you may recall, we are here in Gamberi because we were ordered to move our headquarters. Here is a pic of the construction of our new tactical operations center. Not sure why we continue to build like this EVERYWHERE in Afghanistan...thought we were supposed to be leaving soon...hmmmm. I can read the tea leaves. Maybe I'll just leave a bag or two over here for my 2016-2017 deployment!

No comments:

Post a Comment