My arrival at Bagram this past weekend was greeted with some significant changes for the remainder of the deployment. While I was gone, our Brigade was directed to move it's headquarters from Bagram to FOB Gamberi in Laghman Province (I previously visited FOB Gamberi last February, and wrote about it here, here, here and here).
Within hours of returning to Bagram, I was notified that I would be representing our S3 plans section at Gamberi. In order to get the ball rolling on the move, each staff section began moving people to Gamberi earlier this week. I spent my final 2 days (Sunday and Monday) at Bagram unpacking from R&R leave, repacking for Gamberi and mailing extra gear home from the post office at Bagram. We then flew to Gamberi on Tuesday, which is where I am now writing to you from. I'm just now getting settled in and catching my breath since leaving the States on May 31st. The last 10 days have gone by very fast.
To be honest, I'm not overly thrilled about moving this late in the deployment, but it is what it is. I just remind myself that only 1 month from now (okay, 32 days-ish), I'll be home in Iowa for good. Strangely, this is reminiscent of my last deployment. After spending 11 months in Paktika Province in 2004 and 2005, my platoon was redirected to provide security in Khowst Province for our 12th and final month.
One thing is for sure about the Army...things are always subject change.
No comments:
Post a Comment