Saturday, December 4, 2010

reprieve from the smog.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet or not, but the smog here at Bagram is bad. When I was last here in 2004-2005, there wasn't a day I can remember visiting Bagram that I wasn't able to see the surrounding mountains, which are stunning. The reason? An increase from 3,000 residents to 30,000+ residents in such a small area (huge increase in vehicles and generators).

Yesterday's highwinds/storm cleared all smog out of the "Bagram Bowl." As a result, today was the clearest view we have had since arriving in mid-October (no pics to the East and South, pics of the flight line might get me in trouble).

Looking North toward the infamous Panjshir Valley, and the home of Afghan hero Masood who was assassinated on September 9th, 2001. The Russian air control tower (a Bagram landmark) from the Soviet War is to the left. As you can tell, it has since been dwarfed surrounding buildings.

Snow is beginning to accumulate on the mountains. In a few weeks, they will be covered with snow.

Panorama view to the West

A few hundred feet lower in elevation keeps the snow off these peaks to the West...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment