Friday, December 3, 2010

president obama.

As most of you are probably aware by now, President Obama visited Bagram tonight. I can't even begin to explain just how much work is put into a Presidential visit to a war zone. A massive security effort has been underway most of this week, and will continue until he leaves here in the next couple of hours.

This blog post comes with a disclaimer...most everyone that reads this knows I didn't vote for President Obama, as I am by no means a fan of his policies. Honestly, I was not really thrilled about being ordered to go and listen to him speak this evening, and if given the choice I would have probably passed on the opportunity (for the record...I still maintain a deep respect for the Office, and will continue to keep my politics separate when it comes to following the orders & directives that come from our Commander in Chief).

All that said, I'm kinda glad I went. It is an awesome sight to see everything from this week come together to make it possible to have the Commander on the ground here, even if it is only for 5 hours. I had the opportunity to shake hands with the President tonight...he told me "thanks for your service and you sacrifice." He seemed very genuine during his speech and afterward when I met him. I don't think it was enough for him to win my vote, but it was reassuring to know that he is willing place himself into harms way to make a visit to the front lines. I took a few pics, enjoy.

Waiting in line to be screened in the middle of a small sandstorm. Tonight's high winds forced the president to cancel a trip to Kabul to meet with President Karzai..

SSG Dudley (Iowa National Guard) sang the national anthem...hands down the most incredible version I've ever heard in person. He made the Red Bulls look good tonight!

General Petraeus introducing the President.

President Obama. I had a front row seat.

The President shaking hands.

I ran into Jim McCord tonight. Jim's daughter (Erin) and Jessica were best friends growing up. Jim is currently working with the 101st AIRBORNE, advising them on Veterinary issues. Can you say "small world??"

1 comment:

  1. what an awesome opportunity, even if it was Obama!! :) I'll have to ask Jess tomorrow about your prospect, that would be awesome if you had the chance to come home, good luck!

    ReplyDelete