For those of you who may not know, I joined the Army when I was 19 years old, enlisting in the field artillery. Upon completion of basic and advanced individual training in Oklahoma in 1995, I was stationed in Bamberg, Germany from 1995-1997. Germany has always been a special place to me. It was during my 2 years in Germany when I learned what it meant to be a soldier, and set the foundation for what would eventually become my career.
When we re-boarded our charter in Portsmouth, none of us had any idea where the next stop would be. Possibilities included Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Hungary and Turkey. I was pleased when they announced Leipzig, even though I knew the stop wouldn't be for very long.
We spent about 3 hours in the terminal. The Germans had a very nice area set up for us, complete with a convenience store, gift shop, computer lab and pay phones (They know how to make a buck). I had a bratwurst with mustard on a kaiser bun, a Mezzo Mix (German Soda) and a Kinder Egg (German Chocolate with a toy inside). Oh the memories.
I also took the opportunity to call home, and let Jessica know abut our trip progress. We talked for about a minute, but it was costly. We received a bill for $42.00! Jessica said it was worth the money, so I guess there are some things you can't put a price on.
I didn't take many pictures, above is one of the terminal area.
No comments:
Post a Comment