Tuesday, October 12, 2010

brigade hill




Toward the end of our time in the box, I was tasked to be part of a group that ensured our Brigade flowed back to NTC main post in a 'civilized' manner. Our movement out of the box consisted of hundreds of vehicles, and thousands of soldiers. With only a map, a matrix of how the units were to move and a radio, our group set up on top of a hill appropriately named "Brigade Hill," and controlled the movement. It was the only chance I had to get out away from FOB DENVER, so I made the most of it.

Brigade Hill is also home to a 'mosque' that was built as part of the training scenario here. The top pic is a panoramic of the view, with the mosque in the photo to the right.

The third pic was our set up of maps and movement tables on the hood of the humvee. In my personal experience, I have finalized more plans and battle tracked more units from the hood of a humvee than just about anywhere else. Sometimes I wonder why we spend so much time and resources on electronic systems for battle tracking...simple always works best in my opinion. I suppose there are times when other methods are required, however this movement was not one of them.

The fourth pic is the view of the units flowing out, approx. 1/2 mile away from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment