Sunday, June 19, 2011

FOB Sharana Part 2

CPT Chris Johnson, a good friend of many, many years traveled with me to Sharana. He was in Bravo Company, TF 168 with me on the 2004-2005 deployment and was anxious to see Sharana as well. Chris too is currently stationed on Bagram with the RED BULLS.

As I may have mentioned previously on this blog...traveling in Afghanistan is usually an adventure, and the trip to Shanana was not without some drama. We didn't have any trouble getting down there...however returning to Bagram was exhausting. Our C-130 flights kept getting canceled due to mechanical and weather issues....eventually, we ended up with 13 other people trying to hitch a ride on a pair of UH-60 Blackhawks that were going to depart during a small window of good weather.

When our group of 15 approached the awaiting helicopters, the crew chief ran out and explained that he only had room for 2 people. Chris and I looked at each other, realized we were the highest ranking, and did something we normally wouldn't do....pulled rank and proceeded to fill the last 2 seats. I felt kinda bad about it at the time....but we needed to get back to Bagram. It was hard to justify having a Battalion S3 & Brigade Plans Officer being gone any longer than necessary for what amounted to no more than a sightseeing tour.

The trip from Bagram to Sharana, via C-130 cargo transport. Chris and I were the only two on the flight besides the crew.
,Chris and I counted 7 people on board the plane, but only 6 parachutes. We made a pact that we would rig each other up while holding the crew off at gunpoint if need be. Kidding...sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment