Thursday, June 23, 2011

FOB Sharana Part 11 (Final)

Last post for FOB Sharana...one of things I wanted to portray, but am unable to is the layout of the FOB, and how it expanded. It is all but impossible to do so without including aerial photos, which I'm not overly comfortable doing for OPSEC purposes.

I included this picture from 2005 because it shows just how wide open the FOB was back then. This picture was taken from the South, looking towards the North.

This picture, taken in April, shows how crowed the FOB is now. The area captured in this photo is exactly the same as the first picture in this post, only it was taken from the North side of the FOB, looking to the South.

2005.

2011.

My old room! (2011)

My Platoon Sergeant and I shared this room for our last 5 months in Sharan, and wrote our names on the wall the day we left. In 2007, I received an email from a good friend I had met at the Infantry Officer Basic Course in Georgia about 8 years ago...his email advised that he had moved into my old room! Again, small Army.


One thing is a constant at FOB Sharana...Construction. As far as you could see, and in any direction, they were building.

Brand new barracks...those would have been nice to stay in!

Did I mention the place is kinda trashed?

No comments:

Post a Comment