Thursday, June 23, 2011

FOB Sharana Part 10

After arriving back at FOB Sharana a couple of months ago, it was about a half mile walk to the old compound from the airfield. While walking, I took this picture of the very familiar surrounding mountains and valley below.

April 2011.

While looking at the mountains above, I was quickly reminded of a patrol we had done on our last tour to this particular, very uniquely shaped mountain. This mountain had intrigued me, as it appeared to be almost circular in form based off all the maps and photographs that we had viewed of it. We conducted a patrol to the mountain and climbed it shortly after arriving (this was standard, we patrolled many of the the mountains and surrounding desert in order to better understand the terrain).

April 2011.

Close up of the Mountain, which is unnamed on all the maps I had/have looked at.

2004.

Looking back at FOB Sharana after a LONG hike up.

The mountain as seen from a satellite photo...courtesy of Google Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment