Not sure I have much to say that hasn't already been said. Kudos to President Obama for making the right decisions on how to go about getting him. Conducting a raid as opposed to dropping numerous 2000lb bombs was a wise call, as we (the world) needed evidence that he is gone for good. We did not need some analyst's qualified opinion that we 'think' we got him.
I think that bin Laden's removal will have a greater effect on al Qaeda than some people are predicting. This effect should not be confused with what is going on currently in Afghanistan, where we are fighting Afghan/Pakistani Taliban, foreign mercenaries and other insurgent groups. al Qaeda fighters number less than 100 here...this War goes on despite the tremendous blow we have inflicted onto al Qaeda with bin Laden's killing.
Not sure what to think about the whole death photo controversy. If we're not showing it because we have concerns about the fallout on US Military over here...then I'm okay with that. However, if we're not showing it because of Muslim sensitivity or censorship, then I'm not okay with that.
Frankly, I'm a little confused that many people are suddenly concerned about the effects that the bin Laden photos could have on the military here...these same people brushed aside these concerns when they decided to release recently discovered photos of Abu Gharib abuse, which only inflamed our enemies over an issue that had long since been put to bed.
There was also the recent decision to reverse a long standing policy that banned the public from viewing flag draped coffins of US Military dead returning to Dover Air Force Base. This was done so at the risk of emboldening our enemies, while further deepening the resolve of the anti-war protesters and providing them with propaganda...speaking of which...whatever happened to them (anti-war protesters) anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment