We lost our third Soldier this past Saturday. Staff Sergeant James Justice, 32, of Grimes was killed in action in Kapisa Province while assisting with the recovery of a downed aircraft. Also injured was SPC Zachary Durham, 21, of Des Moines. Details of SPC Durham's injuries have not been publicly released at this time.
The story of this fight will come out eventually. I assure you that it is nothing short of incredible and heroic. A Troop, 1-113 CAV 's actions were indicative of what the Iowa National Guard has become known for in this War...tough, well trained Soldiers that are willing to take the fight to the enemy (For further details on this incident, see Charlie Sherpa's blog post here).
I can personally attest to A Troop's professionalism and toughness...as this is the same unit that I was co-located with at OP2 during Operation BULL WHIP. They are an enjoyable, close knit group of guys.
I didn't know SSG Justice extremely well, but we had worked together periodically back home. He was a fellow "full timer" at Camp Dodge. My memories of him are all extremely positive. He was well liked and respected by all, and one of the guys you knew you could count on. He is dearly missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment