Monday, February 14, 2011

brainwashed.

Through the years, one of the things I've realized about the military is how good they are at brainwashing me, even when I'm watching for it. It all starts in basic training...

For example, wake-up (in basic training) is at 0330hrs (3:30a.m.) throughout the 9 weeks you're there. Later, when you arrive at your permanent unit following training, first formation is held at 0630hrs (6:30a.m.). This is how they trick you into believing that you have finally arrived...as you believe you are now sleeping in.

Never mind the fact that prior to basic training you considered 9:30a.m. early. They do it to you slowly...just like the cold-blooded frog that is slowly boiled to death in science class. Only after time do you realize when they have struck again.

Well, I realized just recently they have struck again with this mobilization...here's how. I've caught myself numerous times recently saying how this is only a 12 month mobilization. Not so bad considering the last one was 16 months, right?! Darn it, they got me again! Only 12 months...I'm brainwashed.

This got me to thinking about how much time I've spent in recent years doing Army stuff...it really is something when you take the time to write it all down. I decided to figure out how much I've been gone for Army stuff, beginning in 2003 (the year Jess and I got married) to July 2011 (Projected end of this mobilization).

Following the years listed below is the number of full months I recall being gone...not including business trips, conferences, drill weekends, etc.

2003: 4 (Infantry Basic Course)
2004: 11 (Glenwood, IA/Texas/Afghanistan)
2005: 5 (Afghanistan)
2006: 0
2007: 1 (Minnesota, Annual Training)
2008: 1 (Flood Duty & Annual Training)
2009: 1.5 (Presidential Inauguration, Infantry Advanced Course, Minnesota, Annual Training)
2010: 6 (Minnesota, Annual Training/Mississippi/California/Afghanistan)
2011: 7 (Afghanistan estimate)

So, the way I figure it...rounding down, this July I will have been gone for 36 of 103 months...35% of the time.

Wow...and the toughest end of this is at home. Thanks for all you do while I'm away Jess. None of it would have been possible without you. You are a patriot, and the most supportive wife I could ask for. I am blessed. Happy Valentine's Day. I Love you.

(No Jess, I wont detail how many Valentine's Days, Anniversaries, Birthday's etc. I've missed through the years).

No comments:

Post a Comment