Monday, December 27, 2010

the reflective belt.

I alluded to this in a post not too long ago. Ahhh, the reflective belt. Where to begin...here's my issue...It's not that I have a problem with reflective belts, it's what the reflective belt stands for that I have a problem with.

During my first few years in the Army, the "old" physical fitness uniforms were nothing more than plain gray T-shirts, shorts, sweat pants and a hooded sweat shirt. That was it. They worked fine, and we were content. Then the Army decided they had to change things...which is an ever increasing issue in and of itself...I am after all wearing my fourth different set of camouflage (woodland, desert, digital, multicam) in 5 years...think "contractors" and then all this change begins to make "cents".

Anyway, when the Army introduced the new physical fitness uniform, it was marketed as "revolutionary." The material would keep us warmer (it doesn't), it would dry more quickly (who cares, they still stink after one workout) and all four new items were complete with built in reflective material (here's where our problem began), which would prevent you from getting run over by any more cars (not that I ever had this problem).

Shortly after the introduction of the new uniform, I began noticing people wearing the reflective belt. It started out as their great idea, and then quickly got out of control. The logic is simple from their perspective I guess. If reflective material is good, then why not a little bit more to be sure? (Disregard the fact that none of these clowns wore a reflective belt with their old uniform)

I mean after all, too many Soldiers were/are getting run over by cars! We must do something?! Right? To date, I have yet to meet a single Soldier who has been so much as touched by a vehicle while out running, let alone anyone that claims they owe their life to a reflective belt.

I am a simpleton, and I am proud of it. I will concede that maybe I just don't have the brain capacity to understand the "bigger picture." That said, I just don't understand how we went from the old physical fitness uniform with no reflective material, to the out of control mess we now find ourselves in...in which Soldiers in a combat theater are wearing these things in plain sight of the enemy in the interest of "safety." Many other Soldiers (at least the common sense ones) are wondering the same thing...which tells me that I am either not crazy and I have a point, or I have lots of crazy friends. Either way is fine with me, I'm making a point here (not sure what) and I am not turning back now.

So this brings me back to my main point I think (I know, finally), which is what the reflective belt stands for. It stands for another one of those unnecessary things that I must do as a member of the military. It is yet another rule I must follow that has seemingly little to no common sense applied to it, and God forbid if I ask why. The reflective belt is why so many civilians see the term "military intelligence" as an oxymoron.

In the Military, we do many things quite well. We are master problem solvers, planners, tacticians, and patriots. We are the last earthly hope for so many people in a world that continues to cave in upon itself. Our Soldiers are prepared to go anywhere and kill or shake hands with whomever they meet. We are so darn good at so many complex things, and yet I cannot understand why we fail to miss the simple truth that the reflective belt is over-the-top nonsense...courtesy of the good idea fairy (who coincidentally happens to be related to the driver of the great idea bus).

There, I said it. It's off my chest. I feel a little better. Below is some reflective belt humor from my fellow underground common sense Soldiers...









Wow.



No comments:

Post a Comment