Tuesday, October 12, 2010

mre

I'm sure most of you know that when we're in the field, the Army largely sustains itself on MRE's, which stands for Meal Ready to Eat. MRE's have not changed too much since I joined the Army 15 years ago. One major improvement was the addition of MRE heaters, as pictured above. You place your packet of food down into the bag and add water, causing a reaction with a chemical packet inside. The reaction produces heat, which warms your meal.

What I found interesting is the instructions on the heater. For the record, most Army instructions, manuals and classes are presented at the elementary level, in order to accommodate even the most uneducated soldier. The instructions show a picture of a meal propped up against an object. Inside the object, it reads "rock or something." As you can see in the picture, I used a rock for this particular meal. I guess they wanted to ensure beyond all reasonable doubt that soldiers understand that you can use anything, or 'something' to prop up your MRE heater while it heats your meal.

Random post, maybe no one else will find it funny, but I did. Keep in mind that anything is funny to me after 2 weeks of hard training.

No comments:

Post a Comment