Friday, October 29, 2010

charikar, parwan province

The bazaar (market) in Charikar.

Pictured here is "Zohrn," a Macedonian Soldier who I accompanied on patrol to the city of Charikar. The Macedonians were very professional, and I enjoyed riding with them. Above, Zohrn is seen sharing a bag of M&M's with the local kids.

In this photo, a young Afghan boy came up to me and began speaking very good English. He asked me how conditions were in my province. I told him they were good, last I knew!

Hanging out with the kids.

Spice vendor, who also had many other 'things' for sale. I'll let you figure it out.

Local kids.

Chicken for sale...My friend, I have deal only for you.

Local boy.


Having breakfast at the ANSF (Afghan National Security Forces) compound in Charikar. Pictured from left to right is me, another Macedonian Soldier, SFC Hove and CPT Roberts.

One item of note. You'll probably notice that I'm not wearing my helmet in many of the pictures. This was purposeful. In a COIN (Counter Insurgency) environment, gaining the trust of the local/indigenous population is as important as defeating the enemy. Removing your helmet when interacting with the locals as we were is a way of showing that you are not afraid, and that you trust them. Most of the time, wearing your helmet is the right thing to do, this just happened to be an exception.

Also, Charikar was by far the nicest town I have seen in Afghanistan. Here, geography is everything. Located in the north, and next to Bagram has been good for this city. You don't have to travel far to see some very desolate places. Hopefully, places like this are where some form of prosperity can eventually spread from.

No comments:

Post a Comment